Contact:Telephone: +49 5121 883-40350
Fax: +49 5121 883-40351
email contact form
Room: C 040 Spl - Gebäude C (Samelson-Campus)
Homepage: https://sse.uni-hildesheim.de/mitglieder/dr-christian-severin-sauer/ Homepage
Fields of work:
Holger Eichelberger, Heiko Stichweh and Christian Severin Sauer
Requirements for an AI-enabled Industry 4.0 Platform – Integrating Industrial and Scientific Views
SOFTENG 2022 The Eighth International Conference on Advances and Trends in Software Engineering
Intelligent manufacturing is one goal of smart industry/ Industry 4.0 that could be achieved through Artificial Intelligence (AI). Flexibly combining AI methods and platform capabilities, such as dynamic offloading of code close to production machines, security or interoperability mechanisms are major demands in this context. However, recent Industry 4.0 software platforms fall short in various of these demands, in particular in upcoming ecosystem scenarios, e.g., when data or services shall be shared across platforms or companies without vendor lock-ins. The aim of the funded Intelligent Industrial Production (IIP) IIP-Ecosphere project is to research concepts and solutions for ‘easy-to-use’ AI in Industry 4.0 and to demonstrate the results in a prototypical software platform. Core questions are which demands shall drive the development of such a platform and how a feasible set of requirements can be determined that balances scientific and industrial interests. In this paper, we discuss our approach on eliciting requirements in this context for two interlinked requirements perspectives, a usage and a functional view. In summary, we collected 67 usage view activities / scenarios and 141 top-level requirements with 179 detailing sub-requirements. About 35% of the requirements have so far been realized in a prototype and some of the identified concepts are currently being taken up by a standardization initiative for edge devices in Industry 4.0.
Christian Kröher, Klaus Schmid, Simon Paasche and Christian Severin Sauer
Combining Central Control with Collective Adaptive Systems
2021 IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing and Self-Organizing Systems Companion (ACSOS-C)
Collective Adaptive Systems (CAS) achieve high resilience by providing distributed self-* properties through autonomous elements. While they are very beneficial for achieving high reliability, they are more difficult for dealing with targeted external inputs or ensuring globally optimal results. It is easier to achieve these properties with centralized approaches. Ideally, one could combine the benefits of collective adaptive systems with aspects of central control to achieve the best of both paradigms. While such combinations have already been shown in previous work, here, we aim at a systematic discussion of the range of approaches to integrate both control paradigms. As a result, we present a taxonomy of control action types, which describes how a central control unit can interact with a CAS to achieve the desired overall behavior, providing a first step towards CAS control patterns and identifying the involved trade-offs. Ideally, one could combine the benefits of collective adaptive systems with aspects of central control to achieve the best of both paradigms. While such combinations have already been shown in previous work, here, we aim at a systematic discussion of the range of approaches to integrate both control paradigms. As a result, we present a taxonomy of control action types, which describes how a central control unit can interact with a CAS to achieve the desired overall behavior, providing a first step towards CAS control patterns and identifying the involved trade-offs.
- Leikola, M., Sauer, C.S., Rintala, L., Aromaa, J., Lundström, M. 2020, January. Assessing similarities between gold ores, concentrates, and tailings with case-based reasoning. Minerals Engineering, 146, 106113.
- Leikola, M., Sauer, C.S., Rintala, L., Aromaa, J., Lundström, M., 2018. Assessing the Similarity of Cyanide-Free Gold Leaching Processes: A Case-Based Reasoning Application. Minerals, 8(10), 434.
- Sun, H., Jie, W., Sauer, C.S., Ma, S., Han, G., Wang, Z., Xing, K., 2017, July. A parallel self-organizing community detection algorithm based on swarm intelligence for large scale complex networks. In 2017 IEEE 41st Annual Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC) (Vol. 1, pp. 806-815). IEEE.
- Wang, C., Zhang, Y., Jie, W., Sauer, C.S., Yuan, X., 2017, March. Hierarchical semantic representations of online news comments for emotion tagging using multiple information sources. In International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (pp. 121-136). Springer, Cham.
- Rintala, L., Leikola, M., Sauer, C.S., Aromaa, J., Roth-Berghofer, T., Forsén, O., & Lundström, M. 2017. Designing gold extraction processes: Performance study of a case-based reasoning system. Minerals Engineering, 109, 42-53.
- Quijano-Sanchez, L., Sauer, C.S., Recio-Garcia, J. A., & Diaz-Agudo, B., 2017. Make it personal: a social explanation system applied to group recommendations. Expert Systems with Applications, 76, 36-48.
- Leikola M., Rintala L., Sauer, C.S., Lundstroem, M., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2016, October. Applicability of case-based reasoning for selection of cyanide-free gold leaching methods In: Case-Based Reasoning Research and Development -- 24nd International Conference, ICCBR 2016, Atlanta, USA
- Kheirkhahzadeh, A. D., Sauer, CS., Fotaris, P., 2016, October. Practice Makes perfect-Gamification of a Competitive Learning Experience. In European Conference on Games Based Learning (p. 327). Academic Conferences International Limited.
- Sauer, C., S., Kheirkhahzadeh, A.D., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2016, July. Data Literacy in the Smart University approach, Data literacy for learning analytics workshop, Edinburgh, published online.
- Sun, H., Jie, W., Sauer, C.S., Ma, S., Han, G. and Xing, W., 2016, May. A self-organizing algorithm for community structure analysis in complex networks. In 2016 17th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing (SNPD) (pp. 5-12). IEEE.
- Sauer, C.S., 2016, April. Knowledge elicitation and formalisation for context and explanation-aware computing with case-based recommender systems (Doctoral dissertation, University of West London).
- Mafuba, K., Roberts, S., Sauer, C.S., Matoorianpour, N., Cozens, M., Gates, B., 2015, May Development of a Prototype Tool for Measuring the Context of Care Delivery in Intellectual Disability Settings. Poster presentation accepted for the 6th International Conference on Disabilities. Tel Aviv. Israel
- Sauer, C.S., Tushar, S.T., Oussena, S., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2014. Approaches to the Use of Sensor Data to Improve Classroom Experience; In: Proceedings of the eChallenges e-2014 Conference - October 2014; IEEE Xplore
- Hundt, A., Reuss, P., Sauer, C.S., Roth-Berghofer,T., 2014. Knowledge Modelling and Maintenance in myCBR3. In: LWA 2014 Workshops KDML, IR and FGWM Proceedings of the 16th LWA Workshops. Aachen, Germany
- Lupiani, E., Juarez, J.M., Palma, J., Sauer, C.S., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2014. Using Case-Based Reasoning to Detect Risk Scenarios of Elderly People Living Alone at Home. In: Case-Based Reasoning Research and Development -- 22nd International Conference, ICCBR 2014, Cork, Ireland
- Sauer, C.S. and Roth‐Berghofer, T., 2014. Extracting knowledge from web communities and linked data for case‐based reasoning systems. Expert Systems, 31(5), pp.448-456.
- Aul, V., Sauer, C.S., Briggs, G., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2014. Leveraging metadata from information resources to provide a technical solution for populating electronic reading lists - UWL”s experiments with Talis Aspire; In: UWL - Teaching and Learning Conference 2014 - June 2014 Proceedings, 2014
- Bach, K., Sauer, C.S., Althoff, K.D., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2014, August. Knowledge modelling with the Open Source Tool myCBR; 10th Workshop on Knowledge Engineering and Software Engineering (KESE10) at ECAI 2014 - August, 2014. Workshop Proceedings; 2014
- Sauer, C.S., Rintala, L., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2014, July. Two-Phased Knowledge Formalisation for Hydrometallurgical Gold Ore Process Recommendation and Validation; In: Journal: KI – Kuenstliche Intelligenz
- Aul, V., Sauer, C.S., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2013, December. Knowledge Maintenance in myCBR. In proceedings of the eighteenth UK Workshop on Case-Based Reasoning 2013, Cambridge, UK
- Seneviratne, C.N., Sauer, C.S., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2013, December. Knowledge Acquisition for the SEASALT Apprentice Agent using Twitter Feeds. In proceedings of the eighteenth UK Workshop on Case-Based Reasoning 2013, Cambridge, UK
- Lupiani, E., Sauer, C.S., Roth-Berghofer T., 2013, December: Implementation of Similarity Measures for Event Sequences in myCBR. In proceedings of the eighteenth UK Workshop on Case-Based Reasoning, Cambridge 2013, UK
- Sauer, C.S., Rintala, L., Roth-Berghofer, T., (2013): Knowledge Formalisation for Hydrometallurgical Gold Ore Processing. In Research and Development in Intelligent Systems XXX (pp. 291-304). Springer International Publishing
- Kramer, D.A, Sauer, C.S., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2013. Towards Explanation Generation using Feature Models in Software Product Lines. In workshop proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Knowledge Engineering and Software Engineering (KESE9) at KI2013 the 36th Annual Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2013, Koblenz, Germany
- Sauer, C.S., Roth-Berghofer, T., Auricchio, N., Proctor, S., 2012, December. Similarity Knowledge formalisation for Audio Engineering. In workshop proceedings of the UKCBR workshop 2012, Cambridge UK
- Sauer, C., S., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2012. Extracting Knowledge from Web Communities and Linked Data for Case-based Reasoning Systems. In: Expert Systems: The Journal of Knowledge Engineering. Wiley-Blackwell, ISSN 0266-4720, 2012
- Sauer, C.S., Roth-Berghofer, T., Auricchio, N., Proctor, S., 2012. Recommending audio mixing workflows. In Case-Based Reasoning Research and Development (pp. 299-313). Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012
- Roth-Berghofer, T., Sauer, C. S., Recio Garcia, J. A., Bach, K., Althoff, K.D., Diaz Agudo, B., 2012. Building Case-based Reasoning Applications with myCBR and COLIBRI Studio. In conference proceedings of the ICCBR 2012
- Sauer, C.S., Kocurova, A., Kramer, D.A., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2012. Using canned explanations within a mobile context engine. In: Workshop proceedings on Explanation aware Computing at the ECAI 2012
- Sauer, C.S., Hundt, A., Roth-Berghofer, T., 2012. Explanation-Aware Design of Mobile myCBR-Based Applications. Case-Based Reasoning Research and Development. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012. 399-413
- Sauer, C.S. and Roth-Berghofer, T., 2012, April. Solution mining for specific contextualised problems: towards an approach for experience mining. In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on World Wide Web (pp. 729-738). ACM.
- Roth-Berghofer, T., Sauer C.S., Althoff, K.D., Bach, K., Newo, R. 2011. SEASALTexp - An Explanation-aware Architecture for Extracting and Case-Based Processing of Experiences from Internet Communities, Proceedings of the annual German Workshop on Knowledge and Experience Management (FGWM 2011), Magdeburg, 2011
- Sauer, C.S., 2011. Reusing Video-Game Development Techniques to Create CBR-based Context-Aware and Context-Sensitive Systems. In: ICCBR-2011 Workshop proceedings: Doctoral Consortium, Greenwich, September 2011
- Sauer, C.S., and Roth-Berghofer, T., 2011, April. Web community knowledge extraction for myCBR 3, Research and Development in Intelligent Systems XXVIII. Proceedings of AI-2011. The thirty first SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (Max Bramer, Miltos Petridis, and Adrian Hopgood, eds.), Springer, 2011
- Sauer, C.S., Bach, K., Althoff, K.D., 2010, October. Integration of Linked Open Data in Case-Based Reasoning Systems. In Martin Atzmueller and Dominik Benz and Andreas Hotho and Gerd Stumme (Ed.): Proceedings of LWA2010 - Workshop-Woche: Lernen, Wissen, Adaptivität, Kassel, October 2010
- Bach, K., Sauer, C.S., Althoff K.D., 2010, July. Deriving Case Base Vocabulary from Web Community Data. In Cindy Marling (Ed.): ICCBR-2010 Workshop Proceedings: Workshop on Reasoning From Experiences On The Web, Alessandria, July 2010
- Sauer, C.S., 2010. Master thesis: Analyse von Webcommunities und Extraktion von Wissen aus Communitydaten für Case-Based Reasoning Systeme; Analysis of web communities and knowledge extraction from web communities for case-based reasoning systems, University of Hildesheim, 2010